Wednesday, March 30, 2011

52 Books a Year Challenge

I was listening to a message from Doug Phillips of Vision Forum and he said that he challenges each member in his family to read 52 books every year. I thought how amazing that would be, considering how young my children are, if they started NOW reading 52 books a year just how much they would learn. Now, this is a pretty simple concept --your goal is to read a book a week, or 52 books in a year – however, just think of the amazing results you could potentially see in your life as well as the lives of your children. Now, this takes some discipline. It means turning off the TV, getting away from the computer for lengthy periods of time, etc. So, this challenge is not for the faint at heart.

Now, keep in mind when I think of books I am thinking of books I can learn something from. These are not “twaddle” books as Charlotte Mason would call them. These are books for the mind. Books to enhance your walk with the Lord; books to encourage you as you take the path the world considers “weird” (you know, the no TV, bake your own bread, actually learn some life skills – kind of weird.)

So, having said all that, who is up for the challenge? By the way, I tried to retrace my library history and could not so I am basically only now starting to count my books (meaning, I have some catching up to do.)

No comments: